How to use the Connection Screen for single and remote connection :
First Select your database type .
Setting up VeterinaryGate in a single user environment:
If you have only have 1 computer in your home/office, simply install VeterinaryGate on it following the on-screen setup instructions.
The first time you run VeterinaryGate after installation, you will be prompted by a message box (see image below), asking you where you want to store your database. Simply select the option Local Database and click Test connection button to insure that the connection successful then press OK.
Now you can start working with VeterinaryGate!
Setting up VeterinaryGate in a network or multi-user environment:
If you have 2 or more computer in your office, and want multiple users can access and share information on VeterinaryGate, then read the following information:
To set up VeterinaryGate in a network, you must ensure that at least one computer is installed as the sever and the rest as clients. This means that the server computer will be the one storing all the information (created, modified and saved by users on other computers) in its database.The other client computers would not save any information on their own, but would access this information from the server. So the server helps all the computers in a network to share data and information without causing any clashes in functionality.
Deciding which computer will be the server and which others will be the clients is important as once they have been specified, VeterinaryGate will not allow you to change them.
Thus, it is essential that when installing VeterinaryGate in a network, server and client computers should be separately specified. The following steps highlight this:
STEP (A) Setting up VeterinaryGate on the Server computer:
- First, decide which computer in your network is going to act as the server. This is dependant on your convenience as well as the computer's performance (It is advisable that a computer with high performance be the server).
- Install your version of VeterinaryGate on the selected computer. Make sure that the disk drive on which you are installing VeterinaryGate, is accessible to the other client computers in the network.
- After installation, double Click the desktop icon to open your application of VeterinaryGate.
- The first time you run VeterinaryGate, you will be prompted by a message box (see image below), asking you where you want to store your database. Simply select the option Local Database and click OK.
- Now you can start working with VeterinaryGate on the server computer!
STEP (B) Setting up VeterinaryGate on the Client computers:
- After installing VeterinaryGate on your server, the rest of the computers in your network are going to act as the clients.
- On each of the client computers, install your version of VeterinaryGate.
- After installation, double Click the desktop icon to open your application of VeterinaryGate on each of the computers.
- The first time you run VeterinaryGate, you will be prompted by a message box (see image below), asking you where you want to store your database. Select the option Server Database .
- Click on the Drop Down Below to select the server name , if you don't see your server name in the list please write it manually .
- On the user name box write 'sa' the SQL server admin, and on the password box write the sa password as we made before.
- Click Test connection button to insure that the connection successful then press OK. Repeat the above steps for the other client computers.
- Now you can start working with VeterinaryGate efficiently in a networked environment!